Yahoo Answers Sucks Butt

Posted on 23rd January 2008 by Ryan Somma in Enlightenment Warrior - Tags:

I figured out that something was seriously wrong with Yahoo Answers recently when I was looking for serious academic research into possible selective breeding practices of American Slave Owners, and found this ignorant racist crap posing as a serious question:

Dumbass

Dumbass
(Note the Skinhead Avatar)

Worse than this, however, is that the questioner then got to pick the answer that best synched with his dumbass uneducated opinion:

I'm With Dumbass

I’m With Dumbass

What the heck kind of system is that for determining truth???

Dumbass: Are blacks stupid because they were bred that way?

Best Answer (Chosen by Dumbass): Sure, why not?

I’m sorry, but Yahoo Answers is completely blown away the argument that “There are no stupid questions.” A question is stupid when it is a logical fallacy.

Take for instance this question, where the poster asks a loaded question “If there’s no such thing as race…[then how come this]?” Then the Asker chooses the answer that best conforms to the argument they have all ready made with their loaded question.

So Yahoo Answers has established a forum where people may Beg the question and then award the top answer spot to the person who repeats the answer. Unlike other Web-based truth-seeking applications that allow everyone to decide on the best answer, like Wikipedia.

Oftentimes people ask questions that reveal a deeper misunderstanding, and the answer must correct it on a deeper level. Why would you build a Q&A application that doesn’t account for the questioner’s ignorance?

I am sooooo tempted to start exploiting this myself:

Ryan: If I’m not the smartest and wisest of all obsessively opinionated people online, then why is it that everyone I know who’s right always agrees with me?

Best Answer: Because you are absurdly more intelligent than everyone else! And handsome to boot!!!

22 Comments

1. I didn’t think it was ever meant to be a tool designed to get consensus answers as a result. We have google for that. I thought the purpose was to find personalized answers , to personalized questions … Answers that were the answers YOU thought were best, not what google or wikipedia or your peers or the consensus majority thought were best. So I would say it’s doing exactly what it’s designed for here. These people have the freedom to type in whatever they want. And freedom isn’t free. One of the prices of freedom seems to inevitably be: douchebaggery.

Comment by Clint — January 23, 2008 @ 2:30 pm

2. Your example question and answer are hilarious though. You should make one and link to it. I’ll submit your answer and you can choose me as the best answerer-er-er-er.

Comment by Clint — January 23, 2008 @ 2:31 pm

3. Very true, however, the fact that Yahoo Answers was designed this way makes it less-useful to myself and others who are also looking for answers.

Luckily, Yahoo posts all the other answers, and I was glad to see many people call BS on the examples I’ve cited. : )

Comment by ideonexus — January 23, 2008 @ 9:57 pm

4. I think Clint is right in that it works exactly as planned. Yeah…to generate tons of hits. If I’m looking for a serious answer to a problem I have, there is almost always search engine hits to Yahoo Answers threads. Which I don’t bother clicking anymore, because … well, Yahoo Answers Sucks Butt. :D

Comment by Cuse — February 11, 2008 @ 3:18 pm

5. I agree, it seems that when the yahoo answers members leaves valid answer they are easily reported and given a violation notice. Its always for the least offensive answers or questions.
    In this case, i bet the skin head is still a user, while more reputable members have had their accounts canceled.
    The system has many holes and no recognizable validation. I stopped using it and will not use again.

Comment by Jenny — June 15, 2008 @ 2:19 am

6. Yahoo answers is scary and horrible. Most answers I’ve read are wrong. Nobody seems to be able to do proper research, cross refernce, ect.

When the answer happens to be correct the asker may not agree with it. So what the point of asking? Mabey to reinforce their false beliefs?

Yahoo Answers is horrible, horrible, horrible…

Comment by Rasec — August 6, 2008 @ 5:10 pm

7. lo saturado del sito , toda esa cantidad de pestaƱas y todas las barras de yahoo me probocan dolor de cabeza definitivamente yahoo esta dedicado a personas con bajo intelecto algo asi como dirian en mi pais para puro naco

Comment by baruch — December 10, 2008 @ 1:33 pm

8. Estoy totalmente de acuerdo acerca de lo atractivo a las personas con bajo intelecto. Es sin duda un dolor de cabeza.

Comment by ideonexus — December 13, 2008 @ 7:42 pm

9. I made a blog about Yahoo Answers sucking and I whole heartedly agree with anyone who speaks out against Yahoo Answers for suspending accounts and violating free speech. Community moderation is a joke!

Comment by Eric — February 2, 2009 @ 8:51 pm

10. Yahoo answers does suck!They violate free speech and they delete profiles…Yahoo answers needs to close!The rules…are just way up too tight!Let’s see my new profile got deleted in one day…AGAIN!!!!!Yahoo answers-why won’t you just go???

Comment by Krissie — March 6, 2009 @ 6:00 pm

11. Yahoo! Answers: A place for Tools

Comment by Myself — March 17, 2009 @ 7:27 pm

12. Yahoo! Answers is made and works best specifically for those who need an answer to something fast and don’t want to do the research, or can’t find anything on the topic of discussion from research.

No, Yahoo! Answers does not “suck butt” (although it’s coming pretty damn close to it), but the service does need some huge improvement. I used to be a fan of answering questions on the “programming and design” board and every day, at least 15 numb skull idiots/jackasses post the question “How can I build a website/webpage?” This question must have been asked (and answered) at least 1,000 times! First off, when you post questions, related questions that have already been resolved pop up on the side of the page to let you know that the question you are posting has already been asked. Apparently, some people are to lazy and inconsiderate to read some of the other answers to the same question and feel the need to ask it again, thus, bumping off some questions off the main page where people need help for other “real” problems besides one’s stupidity as to ask about how to build a website.
    Furthermore, the service is a waste of time when you spend 5 minutes typing a well thought out response to someone’s question only to have them pick some two sentence response from some other jerk on the service.

You know what, I’ve changed my mind, Yahoo! Answers does suck ass, although it’s never going to fall under because Yahoo! is one of the biggest dominator’s of the Internet.

Comment by Edward — March 22, 2009 @ 7:34 pm

13. Yahoo answers only exists to reinforce the stupidity or ego of those who ask the questions.

I’ve seen many absolutely correct answers given thumbs down and not chosen simply because the asker’s already have the answer formulated in their pea brains.
    They just want to reaffirm their stupidity.

Comment by Thozz — March 28, 2009 @ 3:08 pm

14. “free forum” yahoo repeats q &as 45 or 50 times,resulting in hundreds of additional pages of used web space, a high rate of deletes/suspended violations means more space for newbies, advertising and sponsors,who could give a shit about community guidelenes,they just want their product to show,,,,,yahoo is like a business with a high turnover rate,where the customer is always replaceable,cuz thousands are always on hand to join this goofy,tho so often enjoyable community.I wonder how their own folks are treated.If ya don’t like something,tough,,put it in writing and we may look at it,,suem fer $47.50 personal damages on free speech,and 700 million in punitive damages,,,donate the proceeds to,,I dunno,a fund to help outa work folks with gas & light bills,,,,,

Comment by rob do santos — March 29, 2009 @ 9:32 am

15. I HATE YAHOO ANSWERS!!! I used to use it and then i got suspended………..probably cuz i was just too brilliant for their beyond stupid clientele………..I HATE THEM and you are absolutely right………..they suck butt!

Comment by THEMASTER — July 19, 2009 @ 4:04 pm

16. You know, it’s funny…before I start to contribute my valuable time (and I mean that literally) to a group such as Yahoo Answers, I should always do a Google search of ” sucks” as it is usually extremely enlightening.

I signed up for Google Answers yesterday to help people, took a lot of time to answer 20 mostly computer related questions, and sat back to await what I hoped would be the windfall of points from Best Answers chosen. What I actually saw the next morning was a 12 point hit (-2 for answer deleted, -10 for violation of terms of service) for answering a question about whether or not you could load Mac OS X on an x86 platform. My answer was “yes, and here are a few links showing you how to do this.” I’m guessing that it was probably some stupid DCMA violation, Yahoo freaking out about getting sued or something, but when they deleted the question, they gave me no reason for why it was removed, simply telling me that the question was removed as it violated their Terms of Service.

I immediately figured out how to appeal the decision and they sent me back a message to my Yahoo account (which I rarely check, because you have to PAY to POP or forward your mail – idiots) stating that their decision stood, that I had, indeed, violated their Terms of Service and that the answer would not be reinstated. They did not tell me how I violated their terms (by citing what I said or did), nor did they tell me which terms I violated (by citing the term or terms themselves).

So I sent them back a reply explaining that their service clearly does not welcome well reasoned, rational, scientific-method focused individuals on their site, and that I feel extremely unwelcome. I obviously made some recommendations (i.e., please cite the actual term or terms violated as a bare minimum, and it should only take a split second to cut and paste a quote of the item in question to say “here is what you said”).

Having an appeals process which basically sends you to a human who looks at the submission in question, and makes a thumbs up or thumbs down without any discussion, debate or analysis – well, that’s just useless. Plus, I believe they actually have a 10 point additional hit to your numbers if you ask for an appeal and it fails!

Finally, what if I wrote a paragraph or two, and only one sentence or word was in question? Why aren’t I given the ability as an author to quickly edit the offending part of the submission out? To have your entire submission deleted out of hand without the ability to correct is rather draconian!

So, having said that, unless Yahoo Answers seriously turns its customer service around, I would highly advise all rational, reasonable people to discontinue use of this service. Giving Yahoo your intellectual property is NOT the way to go. Use an open source service like Wikipedia instead. They are much more likely to take your information and treat it respectfully.

Comment by Amarand Agasi — September 2, 2009 @ 3:25 pm

17. OOps, two edits:

I should do a Google search on “[insert service name here] sucks”

AND

“but when they deleted the question,” should read “but when they deleted the answer,”

The original question stands.

Comment by Amarand Agasi — September 2, 2009 @ 3:27 pm

18. even last year tis Yahoo sucked….

Comment by madmilker — November 24, 2009 @ 12:26 pm

19. Yahoo Answers STILL sucks. :p

I fear for mankind in the next 20 years as a result of more stupdity then usual which is why there needs to be laws/religion to at least keep an ego check in balance.

The only problem with law/relgion is when *insert coperation X or Church Y AND Z* becomes too big for their own good so they become JUST LIKE the people they preach about.

Comment by Kyle — January 21, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

20. Sorry for the typo.

Comment by Kyle — January 21, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

21. BTW: Yes, God has turned his back on the world so we are on our own for now.

Comment by Kyle — January 21, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

22. Yahoo Answers is possibly the most worthless site on the internet. As someone else pointed out somewhere, the “answers” one receives are about as useful as if you walked into a pub and asked a bunch of random strangers their opinions. It’s meaningless.

Comment by Flarfy — July 26, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.