The Power of JavaScript

Posted on 10th February 2009 by Ryan Somma in Geeking Out - Tags:

I’ve been out of the loop when it comes to all the web development advances that have occurred in the last five years, and am now just getting up to speed on them for a project to modernize our Asset Logistics Systems at work. The area most changed since I went into my ASP cave is JavaScript. What with all the HTML DOM manipulation methods, object oriented programming support, asynchronous calls and whatnot, it’s become a whole new playground.

Yesterday I found this incredible example of what JavaScript can do. It’s written entirely in JavaScript, no graphics, no flash, just script (I apologize for the fact that playing this will cause your browser to scroll):

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT
(Sorry, had to take it down b/c the onfocus was messing up the blog mainpage.)

There’s a larger version with music you can play. For more JavaScript game experiments, click here.

7 Comments

1. Wow, that is very cool. Puts my cheesy little JavaScript toys to shame:

END_SHAMELESS_PLUG

Comment by Dave — February 10, 2009 @ 1:40 pm

2. BTW ignore all the map-related widgets there. They don’t work right because I never updated the examples to keep up with the API changes in Google Maps.

Comment by Dave — February 10, 2009 @ 1:43 pm

3. I think I just found my most favorite Haiku of the next 10 minutes:

you think that’s air you’re breathing?
    i am superman
    always split aces and eights

Ryan – yes JavaScript is an awesome tool. I love the fact that it is getting easier to develop. We have tools like Firebug and Venkman. We have frameworks like Prototype and jQuery. The next wave of browsers look to improve upon JavaScript as well.

It doesn’t only live in the browser! You find JavaScript on the server (SpiderMonkey) you find it on your desktop (http://live.gnome.org/Seed) and you even find it emulating the desktop (http://cometdesktop.com/) out on the web. Not bad for such a ‘simple’ language, ‘eh?

-BMF

Comment by BMF — February 10, 2009 @ 3:45 pm

4. P.S. If you look around, I believe you can find a game of JavaScript powered Defender that plays in the favicon space of your Firefox browser…

-BMF

Comment by BMF — February 10, 2009 @ 3:47 pm

5. i don’t think haikus can be 7/5/7

Comment by Matt — February 10, 2009 @ 5:47 pm

6. Dave,

The Java apps look very comprehensive. I recently put something together using Google Maps API for my flickr photos (which I’ll post once I’m happy with it). Excellent demos. I really dig some of the effects.

BMF,

It has definitely come a long way, which is leading to some humbling moments on coding forums (I got scolded last week for using “document.all”). It’s also wonderful, opening up all sorts of possibilities for the application redesign I’m working on.

Matt,

I believe Haikus are meant to be 5/7/5; however, I have seen Haiku competitions that allowed variations on that.

Comment by ideonexus — February 10, 2009 @ 8:18 pm

7. Aargh! I can’t believe I overlooked the haiku format. OK, it’s back to 5-7-5 now. I had to clear my cache to make it load properly though since FF was aggressively holding onto the old haiku code. I think this is due to it being cheezily embedded via an iframe.

Comment by Dave — February 10, 2009 @ 10:25 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.