Calorie-Counting Whoas

Posted on 8th April 2008 by Ryan Somma in Geeking Out - Tags:

Last night I did my regular routine of working the stationary bike to get my three aerobic exercise sessions in for the week (I do weight training the other three times). For one hour I kept my RPMs above 85, managing over 20 miles in one hour. I lost two pounds of water weight from sweating in that time, and I burned a little over 500 calories.

That hour of intense effort barely made up for the Hostess Zingers I ate after lunch (470 Calories). When I add in the Caramel Machiato coffee I got from Starbucks that morning (340 Calories), my dieting outlook gets bleaker. If I were to add just one signature burger, fries, and milkshake from McDonalds to this picture (1,500 Calories), I’d bust my limit on a 2,000 calorie daily diet by 300 calories, and there’s still a whole meal, or two, we need to fit into this food schedule.

If 3,500 calories translates to one pound of fat, then such a diet would doom me to obesity very quickly, just as it brings down so many others in today’s society.

Dieting is complicated. So be sure to keep up on the math involved.

My personal Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 2040 ((weight X 10) + (weight X 2)). Take a moment to figure yours out, then take some simple mental notes using the nutritional facts listed on food containers and the numerous calorie-counters available online. Just that much education could convince you to give up that visit to the snack machine, or choose peanuts instead of straight sugar.

7 Comments

1. I must say, I am confused as to why they don’t just say weight*12.

Comment by Nick Hamden — April 8, 2008 @ 2:36 pm

2. interesting, but:
    “Multiply the body weight by 10; add double the body weight to this value.”

Why would we not just multiply by 12? I think they’ve been reading SourSwinger’s blog too much. :)

Comment by ClintJCL — April 8, 2008 @ 2:37 pm

3. so according to this it’s like 2380 for me. So I should have 2400 calories a day? Christ, I don’t even exercise. Not even for 10 minutes in 2008.

Comment by ClintJCL — April 8, 2008 @ 2:42 pm

4. I get 3240 calories a day at least.
    And hah, I beat Clint by 1 minute.

Comment by Nick Hamden — April 8, 2008 @ 7:45 pm

5. Hmmm… Weight times twelve… Interesting. Yeah, I suppose that could work, but it wouldn’t look as unnecessarily formulaic. : )

Comment by ideonexus — April 8, 2008 @ 9:32 pm

6. @Clint
    LoL. Yeah multiplying by 12 is the same thing. In fact the calculation Ideonexus supplied is an example of breaking up the 12 multiplication by the front end technique. Applying math in real world situations rule!!

@Ideonexus
    Its interesting that you wrote this post. I have a habit of…kinda…counting calories. I usually will get something and say, wow I’m about to eat 450 calories in this tiny little snack and then proceed to eat it. LoL. No on a serious note, I really don’t eat sweats. I always have small meals and the only fluid I typically drink is tap water. I find it helps save on food costs as well. Do this long enough and you find you stop craving sweets and water starts tasting good.

According to that site, my daily intake comes out to 2720 cals. That actually seemed a bit low to me, but then again I’m less active during school. Will jump to 3200 during the summer which once again seemed low to me. You have to be careful with that BMR stuff. Its just an estimate. Someone who weighs 180 and is mostly fat will burn significant less then someone who is 180 and has all muscle. Key point here is the more muscle you have the more you burn. I’m sure that BMR estimate assumes a certain ratio between fat/muscle.

Comment by sour Swinger — April 8, 2008 @ 10:37 pm

7. My gym was offering a test to find out your BMR. It was an apparatus you would breath into for a few minutes and it would tell you how many calories your body burned daily. I wish I had taken the test, but it was a bit expensive. You’ve got the right attitude for healthy living. Keep it up!

Comment by ideonexus — April 9, 2008 @ 10:50 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.